Tuesday, July 5, 2011

A legend in my spare time.

Many, Many moons ago in a much different time here in Abq,NM a skate shop called "The Junkyard" opened up. The shop opened up in Cottonwood mall, the latest of malls to open here. The skating Community was all abuzz with this knowledge, that and the fact that the shop was accepting videos for A,B and Flow sponsorship. ANYBOHDY Projects was busy cranking out videos for all these kids not to mention our own team members to give out.


Well ashamedly I was one of those persons with my sights set on the limelight. I mean come on, it was every skaters dream to get on a team. I could see my self going places with this. I got my Teammates to film me and I cranked out a good video. Well at least I liked it. Finally sucking it up I marched into the store and handed them my Video.

Well I didnt make it. I'm not really sure why. Possible that I wasn't good enough or even cool enough. So after recieving the news I went to Carrows where alot of people hung out. I was drinkin my usual coke when something peculiar happened.


Now if anything "peculiar" happened at Carrows it was ussually Flint's doing. This time was no exception. Flint came charging into the smoking section[shows how long ago it was] carrying his board and with his Backpack known as "Jerry". He ran to my usual table sat down and produced a ciggarette, lit it and as he blew out the smoke of his first drag he said to me "Tony, you could never be sponsored..."


Ok, That was an immediate kick in the nuts. I sat there in disbelief staring at Flint as he took his second drag and as he blew out the smoke he said to me..


"You are not a big enough of an asshole to be sponsored!.."


When he finished he sat there looking me in the eyes, smiling as he flicked his ashes into the ashtray. All I managed was..


"What?"


With a bigger smile he went on to explain that if I had been sponsored all the fun would stop. Me and Flint, hell the rest of the PROJECTS were local heros not because of status or sponsorship but because we upheld the idea of skating. We would rule all the obstacles beneath all professional and sponsored skaters. It was what we thrived on. Flint said that if I got sponsored we would be above all the little obstacles and spots that made us.


There was a lot of debate as to why I never went pro and in the end it was Flint. That day when he ran up, he made me realize that not everything is meant to be. I wanted to be Pro like it was everyones dream but in reality all I wanted to do was skate. After that day I took skating to a different level. I continued to skate but it took a different priortiy as it officially became a pastime for me. The next day as I skated, It was like I was above the pro's as my beloved sport was not a bread winner. I could still feel the Impact my skating had on people. I had become a legend in my spare time.


-B

No comments:

Post a Comment