Monday, March 12, 2012

Memoirs of a Television

(This is a true story)

(Things are such a drag these days. While doing what I do, life ain't always the funnest(hahahaha) or the best of conditions. This guy I know called Poacher said that life would be a little better if we had a T.V in the bay where we reside. I kinda admit that after watching full length movies on my droid3 that a T.V. would be welcome.

What I do to while away the time is I remember things and reflect on my past. I was walking to eat with Poacher and another guy called VDG and I told them this story, and now I'm sharing it with you.)

Horror movies are one of my favorite types of movies! Man I dig em. I love watching the movies and getting all creeped out. The stories are fantastic, well most of em anyway. Horrors can be such a good time.

The way I see it are that there are only two major drags of watching horror movies.

1. Chicks don't dig em.
Ok, well at least all the girls I'm interested in will not watch a horror. Actually bout every pretty girl I know refuses to watch em, and I know of one that did watch a horror in a theatre and she ended up hiding in a Mcdonalds bathroom.

2. Dad abhorrs them.
He spends the entire movie covering the term "Bulls%*t" with a cough. I think its weird though that he stays till the end of the movie.

One of the cooler things about Horrors is that my Mother loves them. Dang ole! Shed go on and on about them, tellin us about the ones she's seen and telling us ghost stories. It was a whole lot of fun listening to my Mom go on and on.

So that means Mother had the same problem I do with that genre. But what she did have for her was my older sister and me. After a while us kids began to like watching those movies. So the three of us would watch the Twilight Zone, Alfred Hitchcock and out all time fave "Them". We'd watch them together roughly till Dad started coughing.

We did catch breaks though. My Dad being a Marine would end up pulling overnight duty and when that happened…Awwwwwwww cheeeea!!!!!

As Pyle would say " Oh, Its on!"

Wed drop him off at work cause we only had one car. We all kiss him and tell him wed miss him. Then we would all climb back into the car, wave aaaand drive straight to the video store.

While at the video store we rent a whole stack of horrors. In this modern times I think people would called the cops. My sister and me were pretty young and we would be running up and down the horror isle scouting movies and when required reading what the movie was about off the back of the package.

Upun completing the movie selection phase we would all pile back in the car and drive to a gas station. There we would buy junk food, popcorn and cokes like no tommorow. I remember getting Mountain Dew in a glass bottle.

That accomplished we drove home and proceded to get wild. We watched every movie that we rented. We stayed up all hours of the night fascinated by the creepy crawlies and spookables we saw. I seem to recall once we watched the entire Nightmare on Elm street series in a night.

When the movies were done we'd sleep a little, get up and drive back to the movie store, Mom would pull up next to the return slot, Inda and me would return the movies, then we picked up Dad.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people have little rituals like what we had. Family game nights, zoo trips,cruises, things that you imagine families doing together. I treasure those nights over all that stuff. Yeah it wasn't fancy, it wasn't Disney land, but it was us. Me and my sister fought all the time making my Mom mad, however for those times wed come together and spend time with each other.

Life, even Family life takes away from each other, but I think the beauty of it is that little things can bring you together as a family.  Something as trivial as C & D movies could bring us together, but Clare once said "Nothing is trivial"

Life has split us all up for now and even though I'm far from home wearing an American flag on my right shoulder the memory of those time makes me feel close to my family.

-B


No comments:

Post a Comment