Sunday, March 4, 2012

Parenthood

[This is a thought] (dang ole! I'm having lots these days!)

"All of which is the American dream!"- Rage against the machine

Back in my childhood days I contrary to my Fathers beliefs actually thought quite a bit. I thought about all kinds of things. Like kid stuff and then I thought of not so kids stuff like God or adult things.

One thought I had once was about immortality. Wow! To live forever without fear of injury or death. I think if I went back in time and asked all my childhood friends, one of the three wishes would have been eternal life. I also believe that without the shadow of death hanging over you life just seems better. Imagine the wisdom and the fun of living through time, witnessing the changes in life and the world.

I went to my Mother who is my spiritual and philosifical(hahahaha!) Mentor/instructor with this jem of a thought. I then proceded to ask her if she would like to live for ever.

"No."

I was floored! Here was my spiritual mentor and she said "No". I regrouped and the only thing I got outta tnat effort was to ask why not.

" Who wants to watch all their loved ones grow old and die?"

I gotta admit I didn't think of that one. Realizing that I was outgunned I retreated to my room to think about what had happened. Like all children my faith in my Mother made me acknowledge that she was right. However like all childeren I didn't understand why.

Sometime later in that era the movie "Parenthood" was released. It was billed as a comedy and loving comedies I watched it. I gotta be honest I cannot recall wether I saw it in the theatre or on cable but I remember thinking it was funny. It was a funny movie, lots of different types in it. I laughed a lot. I laughed to myself, hahahahahahaha! That's what family is all about!

Well the years came and went, I would see that movie here and there over time. I would still laugh at the movie…

Then I got divorced.

I'll spare you all the Emoness of my depression during that time. You all know a lot happened. What's important is that watching my son grow during this horrible event. Watching him cope and try to understand why we were not a whole family anymore. It hurt me to see him go through that.

Then this year I sat down and while sitting up with my Mother watching T.V. Parenthood came on. I sat there prepared to laugh and remember the movie.

I saw "Parenthood" for the first time then.</p>

The movie was beautifully done. It caught all the pain of raising children. The movie broke my heart. I saw and understood for the first time what it truly meant to be a parent. I saw how painfull it is to have a child and how absolutely, truly wonderfull it is to be a parent.

Most children believe that we don't understand what they go through and maybe they are right. What they don't know that is we are there with them through their trials and tribulations. Like "footprints" we carry them through their problems, we care for them , we have to be willing to discipline them and above all we love them.

"Mother is the name for God on the lips and mouths of small children" yeah that's a true statement. I hope out there is a name for Fathers. I believe everything will work out no matter how painfull because "Matthias, is the word for "gift from God".

I can truly say that now I understand. I was blind all those years but now I see. I know now why my Mother said no and I know now what she and my father went through raising us. I just couldn't see them suffering through my own tears.

I just hope that the Stooges don't get philosiphical on me, it would be more than I could take…

-B


No comments:

Post a Comment