Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The upward spiral...The life and times of the "PROJECTS"


[and now for something different]

Every kid has the inclination at some point to start a company or at least a gang. I myself have done both. The crown jewel of my various efforts was known as "The PROJECTS". This is that story.


I grew us skating in Socal, It was awesome back in the day. There were so many Professional and amature skaters around. The weather was prime for an outdoor sport. How I started skating is another story for another day. All that really matters is that on that particular day me and my Skating mentor Andy were hangin out with a local Evol team pro named Brian Barber. He like most skaters of the day had witty sayings written on his grip tape. That day I noticed he had "NOHBODY" writted on his board. We were hanging out, takin a break by the B of A by Vons groceries on Felicta rd in Escondido, ca. Perplexed I asked about it and Brian replied that it was a company he wanted to form,cause he wanted to tell people that "NOHBODY" skates.


Well that got my young pre-teen mind thinking and later at Miller elementary Andy and I had a conversation as to the crew we were hoping to start. Wanting to be part of the mainstream of skating in the town we took the heros name and mimicked it so that "ANYBOHDY" could skate. Plans to recruit people to be on our crew and a Video were made and several days later ANYBOHDY PRODUCTIONS was formed. That summer we filmed an shot our first video called "Extinction" due to the fact that I was leaving. It was a crude but watchable 15 minute video completely made in the skating video format of the day. I believe the video was made in 1992 and it took all summer. The Team line-up was : Andy Goddard, Christmas Bernasak, Steve Garcia, Nick Douglas, Chad, Jeramy Rosebach and myself. Then me and my family packed up and came to New Mexico that fall.


With Anybohdy Productions on the back burner due to the move it was pretty boring. to make it worse I now had to deal with cold and snow. The other problem to arise was the need for a car, in the north west everything was so damn far apart. Well I finally made it to the scene in a debut that required me to Ollie the plaza stairs but during the course of the "West-Side Chronicles" Anybohdy never really took off. I left the west side that summer and arrived in the North east heights. that was 1993.Skating was really difficult that year.


In the school year of 1994 [my senior year] I once again broke through in the scene. Due to a school project Anybohdy Productions took off. During filming teenage drama prevailed and the video was never finished. It was a real good skating year. A lot despite the video was accomplished. I had recruited my first team member since Socal, a crazy big kid named Rhian "The Superior Being" Batson who remained a teammember till the end.


In 1994 and beyond Anybohdy Productions was basically a crew. We hired all the rejects and uncool. Kinda like Jesus, we took all the people who wanted to fit but didnt fit.I had turned 18 and left home and lived with Chuck Ryan.we met a lot of great people.


In 1996 Anybohdy finally released its second video called "sophistication" it had Four skaters in it. Chuck Ryan, Pat Mcdougal [ a man I will remember forever], Rhian "The Superior Being" Batson and Me. It took several months to gather the footage and edit. It was my favorite video. I think it went well for local zero's. We had a debut party at Rhians house.


Also during 1996 I was approached by a local DJ for 107.9 the Edge who was in desperate need of a video to graduate high school. He came to my work and during my break he convinced me to make his video, All it cost him was a pair of tickets to Edgefest. The Video was called " What the hell happened to my shoes?" it was a non-skating video. I made The Dj [Greg Shisman] and a guy we called T-bags into two charachters who had a zany adventure. it was about 20 mins long and helpe Greg graduate. It was clever and funny, I wish I had it still.


Somewhere between 1995-1996 Anybohdy Projects became a business. We made college recruiting videos for the Hanks High School softball team, This required me to move to El paseo, Tx. There the name was changed to AnyBohdy Projects as I didnt do productions but projects. Anybohd Projects at the Time consisted of Maria Snow, Bonnie Campbell and David Ray Campbell. after a the school year ended I went home to Abq.

Several small vids were made to help people try out for the "junkyard". Also made was a video called " The Trip Left Field". I recall that Video being a montage, having no individual parts. Riders were: Steve Townsend, David Ray Campell, possibly Pat Mcdougal and Rhian "The Superior Being" Batson. New to the roster was my sister Alma, she played a critical role in the making of the video. There may be more riders but I'd have to look or find it to tell you. I think after this the name was shortened once again to "the Projects". This was mostly Flint Becks doing. He then Designed the new logo. I will always refer to it as Anybohdy.


Anybohdy Projects has one last project, A video called " Shelby" basesd on a story crated by Chuck Ryan. The whole idea was to make a psudeo monster story and link it to a skate video. The line up for the Video was : Dave Campbell, Flint Beck, Rhian " The Superior Being" Batson, Steve " Mistah T" Townsend, Noah "The Man " Roden, Chuck Ryan. It was our biggest challenge and lots of work and filming went into it, but it never got to the runway. I think this was 1997.


I eventually decided to pull the plug. Life was moving on for all of us. I had Rhian " The Superior Being" Batson who was our artist draw up the Tombstone for THE PROJECTS. I was bummed but we were all going seperate ways.


I believe the end was 1998. Eventually I got married and had a kid. I went to the Army and to war. I still tell stories about it. To tell the truth I miss it. Once again I am "The Projects", I wonder if itll start again. We had started sooo much. We helped a skate zine called "Prophaganda" start, I helped a Board company start called "Done" We wrote stories and created art. Anybohdy was my Pen name for a underground Magazine called " life By john" people would walk up to me at Sandia high school to shake my hand, I would hear people say to other people that I was an underground writer. I drew Flints logo on everything. I like to think that once again Anybohdy will rise Again. Giving hope to the underdogs in a much more creative way than Jason Biggs could ever do. Anybohdy was my obsession for years I drew its logos or made art on everything. It was So much fun to do all this, even through the hard times. I look to the future to see if itll rise again.


Will Anybohdy Live??? does Anybohdy care??


@nybohdy will rise again@!!!@!!@!!@!!@!

-B


The following is a list of all riders/teammates:
from California:Andy Goddard, Christmas Bernasak,chad colvin[?], Jeramy Rosenbach,Steve Garcia, Nick Douglas.


El paso,Tx: Maria Snow, David Campbell,Bonnie Campbell.


Abq,NM: Rhian " The Superior Being " Batson, Flint Beck[R.I.P], Flints Brother,Chuck Ryan, Pat Mcdougal, Ace, Montanna Stone, Josh Steinlaugh, Clare Xuerbe, Margret Burke, Alma Bieniek,John, Carl Parker, Sketchy,Steve "Mistah T" Townsend,Jason, Noah "The Man" Roden, and Dave Campbell.

No comments:

Post a Comment